Wednesday, May 6, 2009

HORSES HORSES HORSES

I have loved horses since I was little. It was my first passion. One of my fondest memories when I was little was sitting up on Big George with one of my other siblings. Unfortunately, I have not had much experience outside looking at books and day dreaming. Well, my beloved seminary teacher has horses. We have been working for her so that we can earn money for girls camp and yesterday, she let us ride. To help us really get the hang of riding the horse, she had us ride bareback. I was the first one to get up on Smoke. He is a beautiful Arabian. At first, I felt wobbly but soon I got the hang of it. While I was up on Smoke, Rachelle got up on Harvey. After riding for a about 10 minutes, I got off to let Marissa ride. I almost immediately got up on Harvey. I cannot explain the feeling of being on a horse. I was a little unbalanced at first but after a while, I was able to get comfortable. Being on a horse was so... AMAZING. I felt so free and comfortable. Marissa, Rachelle and I traded around on the horses. Jamie even got the ride with Rachelle and I helping her. The difference between Smoke and Harvey was very apparent. Harvey was VERY responsive. He would turn with a slight tug of the reigns. Smoke was a little bit difficult to get to listen. He's a good horse, just a little stubborn. He really didn't like stopping. I got very confident riding Smoke and so I asked if I could trot him. Sister Stokes told me how to and I began. I tried it a couple of times. It was incredible. My legs were starting to get a little tired. I was coming around to the straight stretch so that I could trot. Sister Stokes was telling me to not trot if I wasn't ready. I wasn't as ready as I thought I was. In fact I wasn't ready at all. I squeezed his sides so that he would go into a trot. Just as he went into a trot I knew I was in trouble. My reigns were to loose, I thought he was going to smash me into the wall, and I wasn't sitting right. Well, I did the very thing you should NOT do when you want a horse to stop. I squeezed my legs tighter onto Smokes body. He was very obedient and so he began to go faster into an extended trot and then he was beginning to get into a canter. I was trying to get him to stop but my reigns were to loose. I was flopping everywhere!!! Suddenly, I could feel myself falling. I fell forward onto Smokes neck. I clamped my arms around his neck and hung on. These were the thoughts that were going through my head all at the same time:

  • I wonder if it is going to hurt when I fall?
  • am I still on him?
  • I am reallying not looking forward to falling
  • Am I really still on him?
  • Should I just let go and fall?
  • HOW AM I STILL ON HIM??
  • I bet I look like an idiot

I began to laugh. Some how I was able to grab one of the reins. I pulled and said "HO SMOKE!!!" I pulled him back. The crazy thing was he was stopped. I sat up and the first thing I heard was laughter. They were all laughing at me. At the same time that I was laughing I was wondering "Am I still on Smoke?" I walked Smoke over to Sister Stokes, Marissa, Jamie and Mom. I looked at Mom and she was crying because she was laughing so hard. I got off Smoke and gave Marissa a leg up. I walked over to Mom and she was still laughing. I am still amazed that I didn't fall off.

That was one of the very BEST days of my life. I love horses and it was so much fun!!! As I am writing this, I am still laughing. I felt like such an idiot but it was hilarious.


Also, Today is Ivy's 2nd birthday. HAPPY BIRTHDAY IVY!!!!! And Happy one day late to Daddy!!!