At the end of April, I received a letter from my school that stated that "based on Nichole's excellent standardized test scores, we are pleased to invite her to apply for this year's President's Award for Educational Excellence. " After telling my dad that I could get an embossed certificate that was signed by the President of the United States, his reply was "Hey, you could have Satan's signature on a piece of paper." In order to apply for "Satan's signature", I had to
1.) send in a "curriculum vitae," which is a resume of some of the courses that I have taken that I believe "have contributed to my academic growth." I needed to briefly comment on those courses.
2.) Give a brief explanation of some of the areas of my life where I have demonstrated "motivation, initiative, integrity, intellectual depth, leadership qualities, and/or exceptional judgment."
and
3.) I had to have this in by May 5th.
So, on the night of May 5th, I sent in my application and then promptly forgot about it. Last week, my advisory teacher called and told me I passed the math WASL. I was so excited and didn't think that I could have much better academic news. However, last night we got a big envelope in the mail from CVA. We were slightly put out with the fact that the envelope had a sticker that said "Do not bend" on it and it was totally bent in half. I told Mom that she should open it first and she handed it to me to open. I thought that it was my WASL scores or a transcript or something. I ripped open the envelope and was confused when I saw my name in big letters on the certificate. Then I thought that it was my Diploma. When I realized all I could say for a second was "Oh my gosh, I got it!!!" The letter contained a certificate that was signed by the President of the United States, Barack Obama, the US secretary of Education, and the Principal of Columbia Virtual Academy and a little pin delio. We have decided that Obama probably didn't' really sign it but hey, that's OK. I have a certificate with "Satan's Stamp" on it. LOL .
